Most of you will have set goals in your life before, but some of you may have come complacent, or perhaps you just want to make sure this year is a great year for you! Your ideal life is not always going to come knocking at your door, you need to create it. By setting personal, health and career goals you can help create the life you desire. Being the beginning of the year, this is a perfect time to set some short-term motivational goals and a long-term vision.
Firstly, you need to create a “big picture” of what your long-term vision is. Start by looking at the next 10 years then break this down into what goals you’d need to set to achieve this vision in the next 5 years. Break the 5 years down yearly until you’re down to the last 12 months. Then break this down monthly. Your goals should motivate you and be important to you.
A good way to start is to employ S.M.A.R.T goals, which are:
- Specific Make sure your goals are clear and well defined.
- Measurable Break your goals down into measurable elements. You need to include dates and precise amounts that can be measured. This will make your goals clearer and more obtainable.
- AchievableMake sure the goals you set are realistic and achievable. If you set your goals too high, and you’ve made them too hard to accomplish, then you may lose confidence and demoralize yourself.
- Relevant Your goals should be relevant to your life and career.
- Time-Targeted Make sure you have set dead lines for your goals. Deadlines help you switch to action and make it easier to attain your goals.
Your goals should include:
- Personal – What is going to make you happy and enjoy your life?
- Career – Successful careers involve goals. Career goals keep you on track and represent objectives, benchmarks and milestones in your career.
- Financial Setting financial goals keeps you in charge of your money and your life.
- Education Do you need certain skills or knowledge to achieve the goals you’ve set yourself?
- Physical- Would you like to improve your health and fitness? Perhaps work towards completing a Triathlon or the City to Surf.
- Family – Are you planning on having a family or extending the one you have? How will you plan on being a good parent and planning for such changes? Perhaps you feel you need to work on your relationship with your partner or kids?
- Pleasure How do you want to enjoy your life? How will you ensure that this happens? Planning weekends away and holidays can really help you recharge your batteries and keep you motivated. Taking up a hobby can always be pleasurable too.
- Attitude You can’t accomplish and be successful with any goals unless you have the right attitude. Is there anything holding you back that you need to address. Does your behavior need improving and what could you do to improve it?
TIPS FOR GOAL SETTING!
- Write you goals down and why they are important to you
- Be firm with your decisions
- Set goals with confidence
- Get your priorities in order
- Track your progress
- Be persistent and don’t give up
- Celebrate and reward yourself when you have successfully accomplished a goal